Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Do Your Homework

Recently, my aunt told me that she had become a better cook by doing one simple thing- reading cookbooks. I thought about this and realized that the same thing had worked for me- several years ago I had become more knowledgeable about skin care when I began to read skin care books. It's so simple but it's true- the more information we have at our fingertips, the more educated we can be about our choices, no matter the topic. So, as we are starting out a new year with a resolve to take better care of our skin, let's start off on the right foot and do our homework!

Now don't laugh, skin care literature actually does exist, and there are some books out there that are better than others. Below is a list of three great books to help get you started on your crash course in good skin care.

1. The Clear Skin Prescription, The Perricone Prescription to Eliminate Problem Skin by Nicholas Perricone, M.D.- This book is one of my "skin care bibles". It's a great read for those of you who are considering making better overall health choices or for those of you who really are interested in some of the medical science behind your skin. Originally published as The Acne Prescription, this new edition is expanded to include more information about inflammation, diet, and skin care. You may recall that a few posts ago, I recommended that you think about your skin just like any other organ in your body. About the time that I discovered that philosophy, I also discovered this book, and the two go hand in hand.

Dr. Perricone also has several other books that I would recommend, including Forever Young: The Science of Nutrigenomics for Glowing, Wrinkle-Free Skin and Radiant Health at Every Age and Ageless Face, Ageless Mind. You can find all of his books on Amazon, or on Dr. Perricone's website.

2. 6 Weeks to Sensational Skin: Dr. Loretta's Beauty Camp Handbook for Your Freshest Face by Loretta Ciraldo, M.D.- I have mentioned this book before on my blog, as you may recall my pillow case recommendations from the previous post, "Pillow Talk". This book is lighter reading than Dr. Perricone's books, and it would be great fun to try Dr. Loretta's Beauty Camp with your roommate, sister, mom, aunt, grandmother, or friend. Basically, Dr. Loretta outlines an intensive 6 week "boot camp" for your skin care routine. She has some great recommendations, including throwing out old beauty products, doing your homework as to product ingredients, and using All Free & Clear Laundry Detergent, all of which I now follow devoutly.

3. A Consumer's Dictionary of Cosmetic Ingredients: Complete Information About the Harmful and Desirable Ingredients Found in Cosmetics and Cosmeceuticals by Ruth Winter, M.S.- This is one of my favorite cosmetic dictionaries, mainly because it's very easy to use. I firmly believe that every girl should own one of these types of books (there are several others like this out there) because it's important to know exactly what ingredients go into your products. For example, have you ever noticed that almost every shampoo contains Sodium Laureth Sulfate? Now, do you have any idea what that is? My point exactly. This handy reference book is one that I have taken with me to Target, the drug store, and the department store beauty counters so that I can look up cosmetic ingredients before I buy. Yes- I have actually sat on the floor of Target in the beauty aisle. And I recommend that you do the same thing.

2 comments:

  1. Scandal! I just read this whole thing and I am absolutely loving it! This is going to sound a wee bit weird, but one of my favorite memories from being a sophomore on the halls is you dabbing my pizza face with MB drying cream. Memorieessss!

    Would you mind sharing what kind of makeup you use?

    xoxo

    Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylor! So glad to hear from you! I do love the drying lotion. Great stuff. And, you never ever had pizza face.

    I'm not much of a make up wearer, mostly because I am such a skin nut, but I have recently discovered Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer and I have to admit that I really love it. I'll do a post on pore-friendly make up soon!

    ReplyDelete