Thursday, May 31, 2012

Beauty Musts & Beauty Busts- Sunscreen

Ah, summertime. I just spent a heavenly weekend beachside in Nags Head, NC this past Memorial Day Weekend, armed with a few drug-store snatched sunscreens that I grabbed in a hurry as I jetted out the door. Packing up a beagle, a beagle puppy, a husband, and my vast array of beachy beauty supplies is no small task- but I probably should have budgeted a bit more time to researching good sunscreens. After all, what kind of skin care guru doesn't do her homework?

So, you can imagine my delight as I sipped my sweet tea vodka and flipped open my brand new Town & Country Magazine (a personal fave!) to find an entire article dedicated to top sunscreen picks for the season. My homework, done for me! The article, entitled Sultans of Soleil, pays homage to my vintage favorite Bain de Soleil, before it dives into six other recommendations, thankfully all of which offer a bit more SPF than the Bain's mild 4!

Speaking of SPF (which stands for Sun Protection Factor), I was interested to learn that this summer the FDA's new sunscreen regulation will finally come into effect.
"The maximum SPF you're going to be able to buy is SPF 50+ and companies will no longer be able to use the words sunblock, sweatproof, or waterproof" says L'Oreal Paris consulting dermatologist Gervaise Gerstner. (Town and Country, June/July 2012) 
I very much suggest picking up a hard copy of the magazine for yourself (because there are other great articles- one about la prairie's new spa at the newly revamped Hotel Bel Air- be still my heart! A $1,000 facial! My CPA husband would keel over!) but I'll also list a few of their recommendations here, for your convenience. To find the others, and to get the skinny on why each one was selected, you'll have to snag your own copy!













1 comment:

  1. Love this! My good friend and sunscreen guru just told me about the importance of titanium dioxide and/or zinc oxide because of their ANTI-WRINKLE properties. After reading your post, I did a little research and found that these two are the least expensive of the must-have ingredients and can be found in SOME drug-store brands. So check the labels! I also found that Avobenzone is one of the best and newest ingredients, and it's found in all three of these picks above. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete